Black Raven Brewing was the 31st visit on my bucket list of Washington State breweries. I was given a bottle of the Black Raven Trickster IPA and fell in love. As soon as I realized the taproom (The Raven’s Nest) was within driving distance, I made the short trip to Redmond to check them out. Conveniently enough, Hi-Fi brewing is located down the street.
Black Raven is a 21 and over neighbor taproom located in a business park. They are open 7 days a week and offer sample trays, pints and beer-to-go. They do not have a kitchen, but you can bring your own food. During the week they have rotating food trucks and plenty of food delivery options. I visited on a Sunday afternoon and there was a decent crowd gathered to watch football.
As usual, I tried all ten beers they had on tap. Here are some of the highlights:
- Trickster IPA – Pours a hazy orange-copper color with a nice off-white head. Aromas of stone fruit and piney hops. Medium bodied with full hop and citrus flavor. Well balanced. I love this beer. Out of the bottle or on tap, this is a solid IPA. ABV: 6.9%, IBU: 70
- Morrighan Nitro Stout – Pours almost black with a creamy nitro head. Chocolate aromas with roasted coffee and slightly sweet caramel flavors. Finish is short and a little watery in texture. Very easy drinking. ABV: 4.4%, IBU: 40
- Gunpowder Plot Nitro Porter – This little oak barrel-aged porter is released annually on November 5th. Pours very dark brown in color with a thin head. Aroma of chocolate malt and flavors that are slightly sweet and toasty. Bourbon-barrel presence throughout. ABV: 6.9%, IBU: 37
- Totem Pole Northwest Pale – This beer is available year-round. Pours copper with a thin white head. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Strong citrus flavors and aromas with a mild bitter finish. ABV: 5.9%, IBU: 50
- Harbinger Strong Pumpkin Squash Stout –Released annually on Oct 31st. Pours very dark mahogany in color with a thin tan head. A solid roasted stout with pumpkin spices. ABV: 7.4%, IBU: 40
- Nothing But Flowers Session IPA – Pours orange-amber in color with a thin head. Big floral hop presence and strong tropical and stone fruit flavors and aromas. A great session IPA with a dry finish. ABV: 4.9%, IBU: 53
- Sunthief Kristallweizen – Available year round. Pours a clear pale straw color. Hints of banana and clove with a wheat aroma. Clear, crisp and bright. Easy drinking light beer. ABV: 4.8%, IBU: 14
Black Raven Brewing Co.