Icicle Brewing Company (IBC) was the 28th visit on my bucket list of Washington State breweries. I had visited IBC while in Leavenworth for Oktoberfest 2014 and recently enjoyed my 2nd visit to their taproom while staying in town for the long Memorial Day weekend.
IBC is an all ages taproom until 10pm, and is open 7 days a week. They do have a food menu, although it appeared to be mostly snack-style selections, which I have yet to try. Both of my visits to IBC were during crowded event-filled weekends, and the brewery was busy each time. Something tells me even on regular weekends it would be normal to expect a tourist-type of atmosphere. Characteristic to the theme of the town, the brewery has a Bavarian log cabin feel. Rather small on the inside, IBC does have a decent outdoor space with log pub style tables and an upstairs mezzanine for additional seating. The brewery equipment is visible from inside the taproom and located just behind the bar.
As usual, I tried all eight beers they had on tap. This place is definitely used to serving flights. Each flight receives a detailed card with sampling notes for each individual beer in numbered order attached to the tray.
- Crosscut Pilsner – Pours a clear golden yellow color with a little lacing on the glass. Very subtle in both aroma and flavor, this is an easy drinking lager with a light body, watery texture and minimal carbonation. Not bad. ABV: 5.0%, IBU: 28
- Dirtyface Amber – Pours a clear amber color with a minimal beige head that leaves a little lacing on the glass. Definitely malt forward, but not too sweet with some caramel notes and subtle bitterness. Medium bodied and very drinkable. ABV: 5.0%, IBU: 21
- Bootjack IPA – Pours a clear copper color with a thick foam head. Aroma is a balance of citrus and malts, perhaps a little pine. Pretty flavorful and not overly bitter. Well balanced with a dry finish. Overall a decent small-town IPA. ABV: 6.5%, IBU: 64
- Dark Persuasion German Chocolate Ale – Pours dark brown, almost black in color with a small head. Aroma is chocolate and coconut. Rich in flavor but not overly sweet with a roasted malt finish. Taste just like German chocolate cake. A fun beer that I would definitely drink again. ABV: 6.5%, IBU: 22
- Colchuck Raspberry Wheat – Pours a hazy orange color with a decent head. Light bodied with a hints of tart raspberry flavor. A decent fruity summer beer. ABV: 5%, IBU: 17
- Priebe Porter – Pours black in color with a medium tan head. Lots of roasty malt aromas with dark chocolate and coffee flavors. Medium bodied, smooth with a dry finish. Very nice! ABV: 6.5%, IBU: 34
- Lifeguard Biere De Garde – Limited Release- Pours clear copper in color with a small white head. Sweet, malty and a bit of booze on the finish. Surprisingly easy drinking. ABV: 8.5%, IBU: 22
- Ill Eagle Imperial IPA –Limited Release – Pours a clear amber color with a small white head. Aroma is hoppy with citrus and floral notes. Flavor is bitter with some earthy pine subtleties. Finish is unusual. Not bad and rather mellow for being an imperial. ABV: 8.5%, IBU: 90
Icicle Brewing Co.
Address: 935 Front Street, Leavenworth, WA 98826
Telephone: (509) 548-2739 (BREW)