Reuben’s Brews was the 14th visit on my bucket list of Washington State breweries. Located in Ballard in the heart of the brewery district, Reuben’s came highly recommended.
Reuben’s is set in a compact warehouse location. The working brewery / taproom is small and there is an even smaller seating area on top of the brewery operation. This place is perfect for a sunny afternoon and allows for outdoor seating. Due to the small location, the taproom will get crowded. Reuben’s does not offer food options (other than their free pretzels), so enjoy the food trucks or bring your own. For such a small taproom, they do offer a decent beer selection.
As usual I sampled all 12 beers they had on tap, which included one guest tap (Fuller’s). Here were the highlights
- Imperial Porter – Pours almost black with a creamy tan head. Aromas and flavors are dark chocolate and roasted malts with some caramel undertones. Well balanced with a slightly sweet finish. ABV: 9%, IBU: 53
- Imperial Oatmeal Stout – Pours black with a nice tan head. Aroma is coffee, chocolate and oatmeal. Taste is incredibly smooth with a bitter finish. Well balanced. ABV: 8.4%, IBU: 39
- Summer IPA – Pours a bright clear yellow with a small white head. Lots of grapefruit and orange-peel flavors and aromas. Medium bodied. Slightly sweet with some unexpected floral notes. A nice bitter hop finish. A true summer IPA. ABV: 6.8%, IBU: 50+
- Imperial Rye IPA – Pours a hazy amber color with no head. Complex beer with citrus aromas followed by rye spices and lots of bitterness. Booze is hidden in this beer. Medium bodied, lots of hops and a dry bitter finish. ABV: 8.4%, IBU: 80
- Kenyan Cream – Pours a clear golden color with a minimal white head. Big coffee flavors and aromas. Creamy, buttery texture. A hint of sweetness with a smooth medium body. A unique beer that I would drink again. ABV: 5.0%, IBU: 17
- Cream Ale – Pours a clear yellow with a small white head that leaves a little lacing on the glass. Grassy nose with sweet malts and light herbal notes. Smooth, light creamy body. Refreshing with a dry finish. A good example of a cream ale. ABV: 5.0%, IBU: 17
- Robust Porter –Pours black with a small tan head. Aroma is roasted malts, chocolate and caramel. Medium bodied. The roasted malt and chocolate dominate giving this a sweet bitter flavor with a bitter finish. ABV: 5.9%, IBU: 30
- Imperial IPA – (Gold Medal Winner at the 2013 World Beer Championships.) Pours a clear golden-amber with a nice white head. Lots of citrus flavors and aromas with some pine on the nose. Medium bodied with a lingering bitter finish and a bit boozy. ABV: 9.4%, IBU: 80+
- Expat IPA – Pours a hazy gold color with a thin white head. Lots of citrus flavors and aromas: passion fruit, lime and lemon stand out. Very fruity with a slightly sweet and bitter hop flavors. Dry with a well-balanced finish. ABV: 8.0%, IBU: 54