Schooner Exact was the 18th visit on my bucket list of Washington State breweries and has become a regular go-to brewery ever since.
The family-friendly taproom and restaurant is located in the SODO neighborhood of Seattle off 1st and S. Andover. This little gem is tucked away in an industrial park at the end of the small parking lot, next to a Vespa shop called “Big People Scooters.” There is some outdoor seating, a bar area with pub tables at the entrance and a small dining room off to the side. The brewing equipment is also visible from the entrance. Despite their extensive daily menu and weekend brunch menu, Schooner still has the local taproom vibe that I enjoy when touring new breweries. During one of my previous happy-hour visits, our server (who looked like a skinny version of Zach Galifianakis) gave us a tour of the brewery and let our group sample some of the grains.
On my most recent visit, I tried 11 of the 12 beers they had on tap (I passed on the one guest tap).
- Gallant Maiden Hefeweizen – Pours a hazy yellow color with a little lacing left on the glass. Aromas of wheat and lemon with flavors of banana and slight spice. Light bodied. Easy to drink with a dry finish. ABV: 5.0%, IU: 14
- Gateway Golden – Pours a clear gold color with no head or lacing. Aromas of citrus and biscuity malts with a light floral-grassy-bitter finish. ABV: 5.5%, IBU: 28
- King Street Brown – Pours a dark brown in color with a nice tan head. Very malty nose with chocolate character. Flavor is smooth with chocolate and hazelnut. A little bitter on the finish. Overall a very nice brown ale with lots of flavors. ABV: 5.5% IBU: 32
- Profanity Hill Porter – Pours deep brown in color with a small tan head. Aromas and flavors are toasted malts and nuts and chocolate. A little bitter, slightly sweet with a dry finish. Rich flavors of a porter, but lighter bodied for this style, almost watery. ABV: 5.5%, IBU: 33
- Brave Horse Ale – Pours a clear light gold color with a nice white head. Aroma is hop forward with citrus and floral notes. Flavors are piney with a bitter finish. A nice IPA. ABV: 6.2%, IBU: 50.5
- 3-Grid IPA – Pours orange in color with a nice white head. Tropical notes and lots of citrus on the nose. Flavors are similar with some grapefruit peel, pine and caramel malts. Well balanced with a crisp light body. ABV: 6.7%, IBU: 62
- Hopvine IPA – Pours a light amber in color with a small white head. Lots of piney hops on the nose. Not as sweet or citrusy as their other IPA. Not overly bitter. Another solid IPA. ABV: 6.1%, IBU: 60
- Hopferno Black IPA – Pours black in color with a decent white head. Rich roasted malt and coffee flavors combined with a hop bitterness. Well balanced and lots of body. I love this beer. ABV: 7.2%, IBU: 80
- Imperial Stout – Pours almost black in color with a nice tan head. Lots of roasted coffee and chocolate. A little sweet but balanced. Relatively easy drinking for being an imperial. Very nice! ABV: 8.6%, IBU: 85
- Berliner Weisse – Pours a clear golden color with a little lacing left on the glass. A nice tart flavor with hints of floral and cereal on the nose. A dry finish was memorable on this beer. ABV: 3.2%, IBU: 15
- Arnold Schwarzenbieregger – Everything you could want from a Black Lager. Pours black in color with a nice tan head. Lots of roasted malt character that you expect. Medium bodied and easy drinking. I’m a fan of this style and this didn’t disappoint. ABV: 5%, IBU: 23
Schooner Exact Brewing Co.
Address: 3901 1st Ave, Seattle, WA 98134
Telephone: (206) 432-9734